The new Women in Workplace 2019 report by Lean In and McKinsey & Company is out!
The 5th annual report’s key findings include:
- The #1 area of improvement towards improving the pipeline is in the “broken rung” in the ladder, meaning the step from individual contributor to first line manager
- The “broken rung” is particularly impactful because it’s an “unseen problem”
- There are 5 key steps leaders need to take to improve that issue
So where is it breaking down, and what are the key steps leaders need to take a look at and incorporate in their 2020 people strategy?
- Companies need to make sure they have the right processes in place to prevent bias from creeping into hiring and reviews.
- It is critical to establish clear definitions of success for a given role
- In order for this to work, the front lines need to be aligned on the definitions of success and how to match the right people to the right role
Does it sound overwhelming? It doesn’t have to be. If you’re looking for a way to develop success profiles and look at internal talent pools at scale, request a full Aptology demo.